Nature Based Solutions - Implementation Models Database
CONSERVATION OF BALTIC RAISED BOGS IN POMERANIA, POLAND
A short description of the NBS project
The project targeted 23 of the 80 Baltic raised bogs have been recorded in northern Poland. Its overall objective was to maintain or restore active raised bogs and pine/birch bog forests in these sites in Pomerania, Poland. The project aimed to:
- Halt the process of drainage and subsequent water loss of peat bogs through the building of sluices and dams and through the filling of ditches.
- Eliminate local threats to 1, such as the extension of birch, pine trees and spruce.
- Increase the knowledge of the natural values, ecology and hydrology of each raised bog and adapt management plans on the basis of knowledge gained.
- Disseminate active raised bogs conservation, including innovative management techniques tested by the project.
- Increase public awareness of Baltic raised bogs and their conservation needs, especially among the most influential stakeholders groups, but also among local communities and the general public.
NBS Implementation context
Europe, Europe, Poland, Pomerania
Project delivered (02/11/2003 – 30/09/2007)
Description of the NBS
NBS Impacts scale
Urban density/ Soil consumption
Low (suburb at the limit with rural areas, etc.)
Combined with other(s) environmental friendly solution(s)?