Nature Based Solutions - Implementation Models Database
LEAFSKIN® Green shady structure
A short description of the NBS project
SINGULAR GREEN is a Spanish company specializing in landscape architecture. They integrate nature and architecture using vertical gardens, green roofs or other tools. They have relevant projects like a vertical garden in London: a garden located in the interior of a famous Nando’s restaurant. The green wall, of approximately 30m2 , is located in the dining area. Because of their work, they are involved in the H2020 project URBAN GreenUP, where they study, design, budget and construction of NBS like green noise barriers, green covering shelters with vertical gardens, green roof and vegetable structures.
LEAFSKIN® is a green shady structure with several benefits designed by SINGULAR GREEN. This green infrastructure consists in an ultralight vertical garden system with a pitch between 30º and 90º, it is destined for the planting and growth of plants, including irrigation and water drainage system.
LEAFSKIN® allows to place advertising on the bottom of the infrastructure as an additional financial support.
This NBS is something like a green roof but over the streets, it is an horizontal solution to create shadow areas in urban spaces as pedestrian streets or squares.
Their benefits include:
· Temperature reduction: Increasing the area of green space in urban areas, reduce local temperatures in summer.
· Leafskin® acts as a filter for contaminants: This green infrastructure will be able to catch and process pollutants.
· Green space can buffer noise: It is a noise shielding.
· Increasing commercial activity: The installation of shadow elements and special vegetable features are able to increase the influx of visitors in shopping streets.
· Increasing green area per habitant: WHO advises 16.7m2/capita.
· Increased real estate values.
NBS Implementation context
Spain, San Vicente de Raspeig, Alicante and Valladolid
Studies and conception
Description of the NBS
NBS Impacts scale
object (building, etc.)
Urban density/ Soil consumption
high (dense city center, etc.)
Combined with other(s) environmental friendly solution(s)?
Valladolid City Council
URBAN GreenUP Project (H2020 730426)
Project manager (leader and main partners): entities names, and know-how involved
Leader: Valladolid city council
Main partners: SINGULAR GREEN (Private. Spanish company specializing in landscape architecture), conductors: Jordi Serramia, Lorena González and Hugo Riquelme
CARTIF. URBAN GreenUP Project Coordinator (H2020 730426)
Work hired by the Valladolid municipality to Singular Green, conductors, Jordi Serramia, Lorena González and Hugo Riquelme inside of the demo actions develop in URBAN GreenUP Project (H2020 730426 coordinated by CARTIF)
Who (else) was involved in the project ? (Inhabitants, local association, etc.)
Original idea and development by Singular Green
More detail on the process and the role of the different stakeholders (How did it happen?)
OPTIONAL Considering the actual impacts, who are the primary beneficiaries of the project.
citizens, local commerce,
Solution to be replicated in other parts of the city under different models that are going to be explored during the URBAN GreenUP Project
Possible governance models:
- Implementation by the municipality and Private maintenance (street commerce or people who live in the street). No publicity.
- Implementation by the municipality and Private maintenance (street commerce or people who live in the street). Implementation or maintenance costs could be covered partially (or totally) by advertisements inserted in the solution.
- Implementation and maintenance by private proprietors and street commerce. No publicity.
- Implementation and maintenance by the municipality. No publicity.
Global Estimated cost of the project
50k€ - 200k€
Description of the financing mechanism
URBAN GreenUP Project (H2020 730426)
Substitute with renewables and natural processes
Product offered in the market
Re-purpose the business for society/environment
Expected time for the NBS to be fully effective after its implementation
short (immediately to few months)
Expected life time of the intervention
around 10 years
Already feedbacks on the project? In case, the project has already been adapted to new requisites, please explain the modifications brought
Success and limiting factors
A great list of possible recomendatios to be apllied. Municipality, local commerce and citizens